The Nasiona is a community of creatives whose mission is to cultivate the seeds of nonfiction. We do this through an art and nonfiction literary magazine and publishing house, as well as by offering editing services, literary contests, and an internship program.
In an age when telling the difference between reality and delusion is frighteningly labyrinthine, we focus on creative works based on facts, truth-seeking, human concerns, real events, and real people, with a personal touch.
From liminal lives to the marginalized, and everything in between, we glimpse into different, at times extraordinary, worlds to promote narrative-led nonfiction stories and art that explore the spectrum of human experience. We believe that the subjective can offer its own reality and reveal truths some facts can’t discover.
We’re a diversity-friendly organization that values multicultural and multi-experience perspectives on what it means to be human. We look to erase borders, tackle taboos, resist conventions, explore the known and unknown, and rename ourselves to claim ourselves.
We feature creative nonfiction and nonfiction poetry, book excerpts, a column on memoir writing, visual art, and interview interesting individuals from all over.
We publish continuously, on a rolling basis, and accept submissions from emerging and established authors and content creators.
We’re currently accepting submissions from established and emerging authors and content creators in the following nonfiction categories:
- Creative Nonfiction
- Nonfiction Poetry
- Interviews with Interesting People
- Nonfiction Book Excerpts / Chapters
- Visual Art
- Nonfiction Book Author Interviews
- Nonfiction Book Reviews
We're also accepting submissions for the following two prizes:
- The Nasiona Nonfiction Poetry Prize 2018
- The Nasiona Flash Creative Nonfiction Prize 2018
The winner of each contest will receive a USD $250 cash prize, as well as publication in The Nasiona.
The winner and the finalists will be notified by no later than 31 January 2019.
The Nasiona retains standard first publication rights. All rights immediately revert to the writer upon publication.
We only accept contest entries through Submittable.
Please send us your best work! We look forward to reading it.
Rules for Submissions
- Please submit one nonfiction piece of up to 6,000 words, or up to three pieces in one document that together do not exceed 6,000 words.
- All work must be submitted for publication consideration through our Submittable form. Please don’t submit work via email or our contact form.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged. If your work is accepted elsewhere, it is your responsibility to immediately notify The Nasiona that your work is no longer available for consideration by leaving a note in Submittable.
- Include a cover letter in the cover letter section with your contact information, titles of your submission(s), and bio of no more than 50 words written in the third person.
- Please ensure your name, email, and telephone number are NOT on your attached piece. Ensure the title of your piece is clear, along with word count in the document.
- Please do not number the pages or use headers and footers.
- Double-space the work and use 12-point font Times New Roman.
- Only one space after the period, please.
- Ensure your piece is in .doc or .docx format.
- Work must be original and unpublished.
- Please edit your submissions before sending them in for consideration.
- Include your name as you would like to see it published and the name of your piece (if multiple pieces, then the first piece) in the title.
- Upload author photo as .jpeg or .png format. (Optional.) If we accept your work for publication, we’ll include the image in your bio.
- By submitting to The Nasiona , you are agreeing to be added to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter: @TheNasiona
- Contact nasiona.mail (at) gmail (dot) com if you have any questions.
We are a small, independently owned literary magazine, but promise to read every piece you submit. Given those constraints, however, it may take up to three months to respond. Please do not inquire about your submission.
Contributor Rights and Payment
Contributors retain all rights.
We are currently unable to pay writers for their contributions. However, we do offer a literary lifetime citizenship at The Nasiona. We deem all contributors part of our exclusive community. The Nasiona citizenship includes the following perks:
- A members-only newsletter.
- Editing services discount of 15%.
- Opportunities to network, collaborate, mentor, and learn from each other.
- Promotion of your work, even if published elsewhere, on our website and social media platforms. Keep in touch with us, let us know what you’ve been up to, and, if your going-ons fit our mission, we will update the greater Nasiona community.