The Nasiona is seeking submissions for its series titled "Diaspora & Immigration Stories."
We are looking for true, first-person narratives from immigrants, repatriates, refugees, and people in diaspora. Our goal is to humanize migrants by giving a voice to their experiences. We are particularly interested in the conflicts, compromises, and tension immigrants experience as they adapt to a new country and/or repatriate to their homeland, and how such journeys have affected their identities.
We welcome different modes of storytelling as long as it is a true story, including:
- Creative nonfiction
- Nonfiction poetry
- Personal narrative, and interviews with an immigrant or refugee. If the interview is conducted in a language other than English, please provide a transcript of the original interview as well as the English translation.
- We also accept audio and video submissions, graphic essays or comics with photos or illustrations. As long as it’s nonfiction, we’re interested.
- All submissions must include a summary of up to 75 words.
- Text: Please limit to 6,000 words and type double-spaced in 12-point Arial or Times New Roman. Word (.doc and docx) files are accepted. If your piece includes images, video, or audio, please embed them in the document, and send the high-resolution versions as separate files.
- Audio/Video: Up to 1 hour. Include a transcript of the audio or video.
- Graphic essays or comics with photos or illustrations: Please limit up to ten pages. Please send all pages in one file.
- Work must be original and unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged. If your work is accepted elsewhere, it is your responsibility to immediately notify The Nasiona that your work is no longer available for consideration by leaving a note in Submittable.
- Please edit your submissions before sending them in for consideration.
- Include a cover letter in the cover letter section with your contact information, titles of your submission(s), and bio of no more than 50 words written in the third person.
- Include your name as you would like to see it published and the name of your piece (if multiple pieces, then the first piece) in the title.
- Please ensure your name, email, and telephone number are NOT on your attached piece. Ensure the title of your piece is clear, along with word count in the document.
- Please do not number the pages or use headers and footers.
- Upload author photo as .jpeg or .png format. (Optional.) If we accept your work for publication, we’ll include the image in your bio.
- By submitting to The Nasiona, you are agreeing to be added to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter: @TheNasiona
- Contact nasiona.mail (at) gmail (dot) com if you have any questions.