The Nasiona is a volunteer-led nonfiction storytelling organization that amplifies the marginalized, undervalued, overlooked, silenced, and forgotten. Guided by a social justice compass and divorced from a profit motive, we cultivate the seeds of nonfiction through a community-centered podcast, magazine, and publishing house, as well as by offering editing services and an internship program.
The Nasiona is looking for the vibrant and tangled creative nonfiction narratives of queer people of all different identities. Our goal is to unite the full spectrum of LGBTQIAA+ people by amplifying the narratives of queer people who exist at all different intersections of race, gender, sexuality, ability, size, class, and religious background. We want stories with contradictions and questions. We want stories still in progress and stories that blur traditional forms. Give us your notes, your lists, your lyrics essays, and your prose poems. We want stories from individuals who haven’t come out publicly or don’t want to or feel they should have to “come out.”
We embrace all forms of queerness and recognize that many queer people are marginalized within their own community. Alice Walker wrote in Our Mother’s Gardens,
“Please remember, especially in these times of group-think and the right-on chorus, that no person is your friend (or kin) who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow and be perceived as fully blossomed as you were intended.”
We hope to be a place where all queer voices can blossom.
- All submissions must include a summary of up to 75 words.
- Text: Please limit to 5,000 words and type double-spaced in 12-point Arial or Times New Roman. Word (.doc and .docx) files are accepted. If your piece includes images, video, or audio, please embed them in the document, and send the high-resolution versions as separate files.
- Audio/Video: Up to 1 hour. Include a transcript of the audio or video.
- If sending audio, ensure your file is in MP3, WAV, or M4A.
- Graphic essays or comics with photos or illustrations: Please limit up to ten pages. Please send all pages in one file.
- Work must be original and unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged. If your work is accepted elsewhere, it is your responsibility to immediately notify The Nasiona that your work is no longer available for consideration by leaving a note in Submittable.
- Please edit your submissions before sending them in for consideration.
- Include a cover letter in the cover letter section with your contact information, titles of your submission(s), and bio of no more than 50 words written in the third person.
- Include your name as you would like to see it published and the name of your piece (if multiple pieces, then the first piece) in the title.
- Please ensure your name, email, and telephone number are NOT on your attached piece. Ensure the title of your piece is clear, along with word count in the document.
- Please do not number the pages or use headers and footers.
- Upload author photo as .jpeg or .png format. (Optional.) If we accept your work for publication, we’ll include the image in your bio.
- By submitting to The Nasiona, you are agreeing to be added to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter: @TheNasiona
- Contact nasiona.mail (at) gmail (dot) com if you have any questions.
We are a small, volunteer-led nonfiction storytelling organization, but promise to read every piece you submit. Given those constraints, however, it may take up to six months to 8 months respond. Please do not inquire about your submission.
Contributor Rights and Payment
It is free to submit. Note, however, that we will only charge a submission fee when we've surpassed our Submittable allotted 100 free submissions per issue.Contributors retain all rights.We are currently unable to pay writers for their contributions. However, we do offer a literary lifetime citizenship at The Nasiona. We deem all contributors part of our exclusive community. The Nasiona citizenship includes the following perks:
- Editing services discount of 15%.
- Opportunities to network, collaborate, mentor, and learn from each other.
- Promotion of your work, even if published elsewhere, on our website and social media platforms. Keep in touch with us, let us know what you've been up to, and, if your going-ons fit our mission, we will update the greater Nasiona community.
The Nasiona retains standard first publication rights. All rights immediately revert to the writer upon publication.Please send us your best work! We look forward to reading it.