The Nasiona is a volunteer-led nonfiction storytelling organization that amplifies the marginalized, undervalued, overlooked, silenced, and forgotten. Guided by a social justice compass and divorced from a profit motive, we cultivate the seeds of nonfiction through a community-centered podcast, magazine, and publishing house, as well as by offering editing services and an internship program.
The Nasiona is seeking submissions for a podcast and a magazine series about being mixed-race: mixed-race identities, mixed-race families, mixed-race relationships, your experience with race in a certain professional setting, etc.
This project is based on the first book published through our publishing house, titled Mixed, by journalist Nicole Zelniker. We're hoping to use The Nasiona Podcast and The Nasiona Magazine as a platform to tell stories about what it means to be mixed-race, and that's where you come in. Send us a one- to ten-minute audio clip or a piece of creative nonfiction telling your own story about being mixed-race.
Rules for Submissions
• By submitting you agree to be considered for either the magazine and/or the podcast.
• Audio clips can be up to ten minutes long. Written stories can be up to 5,000 words.
• Work must be original. We accept unpublished and previously published work. Notify us if it's unpublished. If previously published, let us know where.
• All submissions must include a summary of up to 75 words.
• All work must be submitted for publication consideration through our Submittable form. Please don’t submit work via email or our contact form.
• Simultaneous submissions are encouraged. If your work is accepted elsewhere, it is your responsibility to immediately notify The Nasiona that your work is no longer available for consideration by leaving a note in Submittable.
• Include a cover letter in the cover letter section with your contact information, titles of your submission(s), and bio of no more than 50 words written in the third person.
• Include your name as you would like to see it published and the name of your piece in the title.
• Please ensure your name, email, and telephone number are NOT in your attached piece. Ensure the title of your piece is clear.
• If written, ensure your piece is in .doc or .docx format.
• If sending audio, ensure your file is in MP3, WAV, or M4A.
• Upload author photo as .jpeg or .png format. (Optional.) If we accept your work for publication, we’ll include the image in your bio.
• By submitting to The Nasiona, you are agreeing to be added to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.
• Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter: @TheNasiona
• Contact nasiona.mail (at) gmail (dot) com if you have any questions.
We are a small, volunteer-led nonfiction storytelling organization, but promise to read every piece you submit. Given those constraints, however, it may take up to six months to 8 months respond. Please do not inquire about your submission.
Contributor Rights and Payment
It is free to submit. Note, however, that we will only charge a submission fee when we've surpassed our Submittable allotted 100 free submissions per issue.Contributors retain all rights.We are currently unable to pay writers for their contributions. However, we do offer a literary lifetime citizenship at The Nasiona. We deem all contributors part of our exclusive community. The Nasiona citizenship includes the following perks:
- Editing services discount of 15%.
- Opportunities to network, collaborate, mentor, and learn from each other.
- Promotion of your work, even if published elsewhere, on our website and social media platforms. Keep in touch with us, let us know what you've been up to, and, if your going-ons fit our mission, we will update the greater Nasiona community.
The Nasiona retains standard first publication rights. All rights immediately revert to the writer upon publication.Please send us your best work! We look forward to reading it.