The Nasiona is a volunteer-led nonfiction storytelling organization that amplifies the marginalized, undervalued, overlooked, silenced, and forgotten. Guided by a social justice compass and divorced from a profit motive, we cultivate the seeds of nonfiction through a community-centered podcast, magazine, and publishing house, as well as by offering editing services and an internship program.
The Nasiona is looking for creative nonfiction centered around the question: What does it mean to be Latina/o/x? We want personal stories that highlight our community's triumphs and struggles, our rich culture and nuanced individual and communal histories. We are more than how we have been traditionally portrayed on television, in movies, and in literature.
With this series we look to include and increase the visibility of those who identify as Latina/o/x and our Latin American brothers and sisters, fathers and mothers, tías y tíos, abuelos y abuelas, prim@s y Spanglish-speakers.
The Nasiona was founded and is led by a Colombian immigrant who wants to help empower his community and provide a platform for taking control of our narratives about ourselves, tell our own stories through our voices and not through the lenses of groups who can't speak for us or who have historically used us as servants and props to either make money, entertain themselves, make themselves feel better about themselves, or justify their racism and xenophobia.
With this series we can also further unpack our own prejudices and dissect the conflicts within our own Latina/o/x communities: colorism, misogyny, homophobia, classism, atheism intolerance, and much more.
Civil rights activist Alicia Garza once said that "every successful social movement in [U.S.] history has used disruption as a strategy to fight for social change. Whether it was the Boston Tea Part to the sit-ins at lunch counters throughout the South, no change has been won without disruptive action." This series is our way of joining the movement. This is our disruption. Join us by sending us your stories. We look forward to reading them.
And, if we select your piece for publication in the magazine, we will also consider sharing your essay in our The Nasiona Podcast series.
- All submissions must include a summary of up to 75 words.
- Text: Please limit to 5,000 words and type double-spaced in 12-point Arial or Times New Roman. Word (.doc and .docx) files are accepted. If your piece includes images, video, or audio, please embed them in the document, and send the high-resolution versions as separate files.
- Audio/Video: Up to 1 hour. Include a transcript of the audio or video.
- If sending audio, ensure your file is in MP3, WAV, or M4A.
- Graphic essays or comics with photos or illustrations: Please limit up to ten pages. Please send all pages in one file.
- Work must be original. We accept unpublished and previously published work. Notify us if it's unpublished. If previously published, let us know where.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged. If your work is accepted elsewhere, it is your responsibility to immediately notify The Nasiona that your work is no longer available for consideration by leaving a note in Submittable.
- Please edit your submissions before sending them in for consideration.
- Include a cover letter in the cover letter section with your contact information, titles of your submission(s), and bio of no more than 50 words written in the third person.
- Include your name as you would like to see it published and the name of your piece (if multiple pieces, then the first piece) in the title.
- Please ensure your name, email, and telephone number are NOT on your attached piece. Ensure the title of your piece is clear, along with word count in the document.
- Please do not number the pages or use headers and footers.
- Upload author photo as .jpeg or .png format. (Optional.) If we accept your work for publication, we’ll include the image in your bio.
- By submitting to The Nasiona, you are agreeing to be added to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter: @TheNasiona
- Contact nasiona.mail (at) gmail (dot) com if you have any questions.
We are a small, volunteer-led nonfiction storytelling organization, but promise to read every piece you submit. Given those constraints, however, it may take up to six months to 8 months respond. Please do not inquire about your submission.
Contributor Rights and Payment
It is free to submit. Note, however, that we will only charge a submission fee when we've surpassed our Submittable allotted 100 free submissions per issue.
Contributors retain all rights.
We are currently unable to pay writers for their contributions. However, we do offer a literary lifetime citizenship at The Nasiona. We deem all contributors part of our exclusive community. The Nasiona citizenship includes the following perks:
- Editing services discount of 15%.
- Opportunities to network, collaborate, mentor, and learn from each other.
- Promotion of your work, even if published elsewhere, on our website and social media platforms. Keep in touch with us, let us know what you've been up to, and, if your going-ons fit our mission, we will update the greater Nasiona community.
The Nasiona retains standard first publication rights. All rights immediately revert to the writer upon publication.
Please send us your best work! We look forward to reading it.