The Nasiona is a volunteer-led nonfiction storytelling organization that humanizes the Other by amplifying the voices and experiences of the marginalized, undervalued, overlooked, silenced, and forgotten. Guided by a social justice compass, we actively work toward dismantling systems of oppression and creating a cultural shift through a community-centered podcast, magazine, publishing house, and internship program.
You may have noticed that The Nasiona Podcast has a new musical feel. We're extremely excited to announce that this original music was produced by the Grammy Award-winning team of Joe Sparkman and Marcus Allen, aka, The Heavyweights.
With this new partnership, we've decided it was time to use our platforms to create a new Music series for The Nasiona, both our online magazine and our podcast.
Music has always told stories that are as powerful, as moving as personal essays, and we at The Nasiona want to honor that tradition. For this new music series, we seek submissions of songs that align with our vision of centering, elevating, and amplifying Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, and shedding light on neglected experiences.
Whether you record your music professionally, or whether you have gone the DIY way throughout; whether you are an emerging indie artist, or have never released a song; or whether you have simply felt overlooked by the mainstream musical landscape: we believe in your voice, and we want your work.
Tell us about growing up as a third culture kid, about living through trauma, about being misgendered, about slice-of-life instances of resolution. Tell us about your elations, your sorrows, your moments of quiet tenacity, your rallying cries of rage. Send us a song (or two, or three!) that tells a story, whether in words or through instrumentals. If it matters to you, it deserves a platform.
All genres and languages are welcome. If you identify as BIPOC, we want to showcase your work and profile you.
We can’t wait to listen to your work and consider it for publication in either our online magazine or podcast, or both!
Note that we are here to center, elevate, and amplify your work. You keep all the rights to your work.
Rules for Submissions
• By submitting you agree to be considered for publication in either the online magazine and/or the podcast.
• Submit up to three separate audio files.
• Work must be original.
• All submissions must include a description of up to 100 words on how you and your work fits our call and The Nasiona's mission.
• A third-person bio of up to 50 words.
• An artist statement between 150 and 200 words.
• (Optional) Photo of musical artist(s) and/or album cover image as .jpeg or .png format. If we accept your work for publication, we’ll include the image in your bio.
• (Optional) Links to social media.
• (Optional) Links to projects, be it Spotify, Soundcloud, personal website, etc.
• All work must be submitted for publication consideration through our Submittable form. Please don’t submit work via email or our contact form.
• By submitting to The Nasiona, you agree to be added to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.
• Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter: @TheNasiona
• Contact nasiona.mail (at) gmail (dot) com if you have any questions.
We are a small, volunteer-led storytelling organization, but promise to listen to every piece you submit. Given those constraints, however, it may take u to a few months to respond. Please do not inquire about your submission.
Contributor Rights and Payment
It is free to submit. Note, however, that we will only charge a submission fee when we've surpassed our Submittable allotted 100 free submissions per month. Contributors retain all rights. We are currently unable to pay submitters for their contributions.